Are you in need of a battery backup sump pump system? Keep in mind that approximately 14,000 people experience some type of water damage daily throughout the USA.
Therefore, getting one suitable for your household is a great idea for pumping water from a flooded basement. This device is essential for keeping the value of your home intact.
In order to purchase a quality sump pump, it is important to learn about the different types available on the market. You will now make the right choice with this powerful information. This extensive review will cover what each one entails.
Below are the 7 best battery backup sump pumps with many features. I will break down the criteria for picking the right backup sump pump battery system. Finally, the review will end with an overview, troubleshooting, maintenance, and FAQ information.
7 Best Battery Backup Sump Pumps Compared
Below is a comparison table outlining the specs, catchy features, pros, and cons. This information could be used later for your final purchase. Everything covered is a brief synopsis of what to expect when making your final decision. Compare the best rated battery backup sump pumps at great prices!
Each comparison will detail the sump pumps along with an Amazon Marketplace link to get the product. This information will expose you to some great products with excellent features. You will also learn what are the most popular, reliable, and durable models.
Best Battery Backup Sump Pump Reviews For 2018
1. WAYNE WSS30V Sump Pump System
The Wayne WSS30V Sump Pump System is American made with both domestic and foreign parts. This backup battery sump pump is tested to ensure 1 million lifetime cycles. World-renowned failure analysts monitored and approved this claim. Being a horsepower-operated submersible, it runs on a 75 AMP, 12-volt battery. That means it is capable of pumping out about 4,200 gallons every hour.
This machine has a top suction mechanism to minimize debris and limit clogging. There is also a brightly lit LED alarm system indicator that lets homeowners know status updates. Created by an industry leader with over 80 years of experience, Wayne knows basement sewage management the best. Therefore, you can avoid creating a vent or weep hole because this machine does everything for you.
The item weighs approximately 24 pounds, so it does not require strain to carry. Additionally, it comes already pre-assembled for quick and easy installation. The exterior has a rugged cast iron, epoxy-coated construction for tough applications and rough handling. Finally, there is a smart charging technology that limits the amount of power used by the DC current.
- Quick and easy installation limiting hard work
- Created by an industry leader with over 80 years of experience
- Has a long lifespan
- Made with a heavy-duty construction that can withstand bumps and bruises
The Wayne WSS30V is a good choice. It is best when you want to support the USA made products. However, it is a bad choice for someone who lives in a basement because of the loud sounds it might make.This system pumps out a bunch of gallons of water with a useful LED system indicator helping the process.
There are several more smart features best operable by tech savvy users. Finally, although this machine is very heavy to carry it is durable to last long.
2. PumpSpy PS1000 12V DC Battery Back-Up Sump Pump
This sump pump is a technologically advanced version of the others in the same category. It comes equipped with a free monitoring system with no subscription required. There is also a 120 volt backup battery that runs automatic 24/7.
What Makes This Product So Special?
What makes the PumpSpy PS1000 so special is that the system respects personal boundaries by not using Wi-Fi or phone lines. This prevents data incursions. The average battery life is 166 hours of continuous pumping. Moreover, the product weighs about 14 pounds so it is very easy to handle and carry around. The installation is very simple limiting the amount of work on your part.
Where Is the Company Located?
The PumpSpy headquarters is in Northeast, Ohio. Therefore, all parts put inside this company’s sump pumps come from local sources. Moreover, all units have undergone independent, rigorous testing for the ETL listed certification.
- Comes equipped with modern technology
- Made in the USA
- Built-in Internet Monitoring System
- Lightweight enough to carry around
- Independently tested for ETL listed certification
This technologically advanced system is perfect for users who are tech savvy. The unit has a monitoring system that does not tap into the home internet or personal mobile devices. Assembly is very easy and installation is effortless.
Since this product is the USA made, those with a patriotic spirit will love having it in their homes. It is also independently tested and received a ETL Mark certification.
3. Zoeller 508-0006 Aquanot 508 ProPak53
This sump pump comes has a solid state design assembled to clean the water sump. It comes with an automatic charger that provides power for maximum battery consumption. Additionally, there is a light indicator that reflects warnings to help keep you on top of the system performance.
Delve Deeper Into the Model
A low-voltage vertical switch is a great addition to the machine. Moreover, the discharge check valve will give homeowners constant updates. The exterior sports a compact, colorful design that is very stylish. The unit is Crus-approved and has a USA made charger. You will get the advantage of a technologically advanced alarm system that comes with an audio dialer.
This mechanism contacts you about any problems with the pump. There is also an anti battery feature to prevent a burn out, providing protection against overcharging. This machine is a bit heavy, weighing approximately 40 lbs. Aside from that, customers will get a three-year limited warranty should anything bad happen.
- Comes already assembled
- Has a solid-state design for maximum efficiency
- Has light indicators and an alarm warning system that brings issues to your attention
- Exterior is very colorful, goes well with the home interior
This system offers the full package of a sump pump. However, the only two items that you might need later is a new battery or check valve. Customers do not need to worry because this brand of sump pump has the most advanced technology to clean up water quickly and efficiently. There are plenty of light indicators tapping into the alarm systems for constant alerts about impending issues.
The manufacturer is the USA approved, so all systems are made with high-quality products. Stylish and colorful, the unit fits well with a chic household. Although the machine is a bit heavier than others, it comes with three-year limited warranty.
4. AYNE ESP25 Sump Pump System
This standard sump pump is capable of pushing out approximately 3,300 gallons every hour. The unit has about 10 feet of lift just in case you do not want this machine sitting on the floor. Capable of creating a 12 volt charge and 75 amp, the maintenance free, deep cycle, or marine cycle batteries are compatible with this machine.
Battery is not included. The sump pump housing unit is made of a thermoplastic construction for limited corrosion.
LED Alarms & Smart Charging
There are LED alarm lights displaying alerts and charging levels. A smart charging feature promotes battery saving. Moreover, there is a battery health indicator showing information about the power failure status. All of these systems are connected to the alarm that rings when the backup system activates.
Parts & Warranty
This unit is American made with domestic and foreign parts. It weighs about 21 pounds. Expert installation is available for customers who need additional assistance. Moreover, there is a two-year warranty for the parts only.
- Compatible with maintenance free batteries
- Made in the USA
- LED indicators for partial and low battery levels
- Runs off a maintenance free battery
- Pumps a lot of water in a short amount of time
This unit has many fancy technology features that are extremely beneficial for new age users. The sump pump comes fitted with alarms and levers. Because of its high-capacity, expect a high amount of voltage assisting the pump. This high-end sump pump gets the job done with advanced technology and audible alarm features.
5. Liberty Pumps 441
This 12v high output submersible sump pump delivers a 1260 GPH @ 10' and 2640 gallons every hour at 0 feet. It is compatible with a marine grade deep cell battery. There are 5 charging levels on the terminal block. However, the battery is not required because there is an easy wiring system with a slip connector for electrical power.
This unit is capable of producing about 12 volt/12 volts of power. There is an advanced 3-stage charging LED lighting system with an audible alarm for alerts. Has a check valve with an automatic mercury-free switch. There also is a control panel in the battery box, but a battery not included.
The sump pump is made with a thermoplastic material creating a polyethylene design.
- Advanced 3-stage lighting with an alarm
- Pumps out a sufficient amount of water for its price
This submersible sump pump delivers a lot of gallons every hour. There is a marine grade deep cell battery, which needs to be put in water and constant maintenance. LED charging blocks are available for easy charging with slip connectors. There also is a check valve and Mercury switch and the unit has a thermoplastic design.
6. Zoeller M53 507-0008 Sump Pump
Battery Specs & Features
This sump pump has a battery case to accommodate the maximum dimensions. As long as the battery is 13 inches in length, 7 1/2 inches in width and 9 1/2 inches in height it can fit the size. More importantly, this pump comes with a self-contained battery charger made with non-corrosive polyethylene material.
Zoeller M53 Unit Specs
The item weighs 21 pounds so it is a nice weight. The power cord stretches 9 feet long. And the housing unit has a cast iron and thermoplastic construction that is non-corrosive. The vertical float switch is sealed to prevent overheating in the thermoplastic base. This process helps extends the sump pump’s lifespan.
The pump produces 12 volt of power to dish out about 1380 gallons every hour on a 5in lift. That is about 900 gallons every hour on a 10 inch lift. LED lighting is available for charging the amp battery. It comes with a 3 year limited warranty, but the product is now discontinued.
- Is capable of fitting most marine batteries
- Made with a thermoplastic that is non corrosive
- Float switch prevents overheating for an extended life span
This sump pump is accommodating to most sized batteries and has a self-contained charger. It is very heavy with a long cord. The base material is non corrosive, and has an overheating prevention mechanism that extends life span. This sump pump pumps out a sufficient amount of water and there is a LED alarm system along with a reliable design raise switch.
7. Glentronics, Inc. BWD12-120C Back-Up Sump Pump System
This pump requires a unique Basement Watchdog 7.5 hour standby deep cycle battery that is sold separately. The unit comes with a colorful alarm with LED warning lights. The user-friendly mechanics create easy maintenance for the homeowner. Luckily, it has a battery saver that allows the machine to run without increasing the battery power. There is a useful float switch that provides the protection.
All systems have a 115 volts AC electrical current. Moreover, the 12 volt deep cycle battery is compatible with this unit. Made in the USA mostly with stainless steel and some plastic material, it is corrosive resistant. This specific model is capable of pumping out 3,500 gallons every hour at 0 ft lift or 2,200 gallons every hour at a 10 ft lift.
All you need is add water to the battery and the pump is ready to go. The product weighs about 28 pounds so it is very manageable to carry. It also comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Has a Battery Saver to reduce power when the pump is running
- Compatible with a 7.5-hour standby deep cell battery
- Alarm system with LED warning lights
- Lightweight to carry around
- 2-year warranty for new purchases
This product requires a standby deep cell battery for those who need a long running unit. It also has colorful LED lights displaying the water level. There are alarms that will sound off when issues arise. Customers can enjoy a user-friendly machine.
It runs on a high amount of volts, pumping a lot of water in a short amount of time. There also is a float switch to use. Moreover, the housing unit has stainless steel made with some hints of plastic for added corrosion protection.
How to Choose The Best Battery Backup Sump Pump – Features to Consider before Buying
First step is to determine what type of battery you want.
Many homeowners will install a solar panel outside about several feet from the garage to charge up backup battery. Although this is not the usual way for a battery to get power, some people find it useful. Therefore, you will need to perform all the modifications yourself.
AGM (Absorbent Gglass Mat) Battery
This is the best type of battery for a sump pump that works with the technologically advanced systems. AGM batteries range from maintenance free, deep cycle, to wet cell and marine.
- A maintenance-free battery does not require constant attention and runs longer.
- Marine batteries need water and constant maintenance but are more reliable.
- Wet cell batteries are mostly found in the automotive industry to start cars, so you want to avoid them for a sump pump. This battery has sealed and unsealed versions requiring inspection and more prone to damage and explosions.
AGM batteries mostly supply DC currents. Has a lifespan of 7 to 10 years.
Getting a sump pump made with the right material is very important. Some pumps have a mixture of these materials, so choose wisely. Here is a list of some:
- Cast iron - Majority of sump pumps have this material because it is sturdy and heavy-duty. The best in the market. Cast iron runs cooler than the others, perfect for extreme weather conditions. However, they are very heavy
- Plastic - Although using plastic is cheaper, it is weaker and could crack over time under strenuous circumstances. People normally purchase this type of sump pump if they do not plan to use it often. Sump pumps made with this material normally come with a long warranty
- Stainless steel - Pumps made of stainless steel are a lot stronger and lasts longer. This material also prevents rusting
- It is best to choose a pump that exceeds 35 to 60 gallons per minute or about 36,000 per hour
- Choose one with an alarm so you can stay alert to any problems. Always research important information before buying. If you accidentally get one without an alarm, do not worry because you can always install a new one later.
- Get one that is compatible with a vertical float switch. An electronic switch with an internal sensor that detects water is best. When the water levels drop that pulls down the lever which switches off the pump. Also, when the water rises in the sump pit, the alarm will sound off.
- Piggyback prong - If there are one or two cords in the back of the unit you can evaluate them yourself. Test them out for piggyback prong compatibility. A tether float switch will activate the pump when the float rises, so look for that.
- The piggyback prong is a great addition because it controls the submersible pumps that do not have an automatic feature to control themselves. Just insert the prong into the power outlet (as long as a three-prong power plug available). Perfect for failed pump switches. This low-cost alternative is better than replacing the entire pump.
What Is A Battery Backup Sump Pump System?
A battery backup sump pump system supplements the job of the primary sump pump if there is a power outage. It kicks in when excess water rises and the primary sump pump fails.
Where Is It Installed?
The actual sump pump machine is usually buried inside a water or sump pit. It is normally equipped with various mechanisms that automatically pump out the flood water.
When there is too much water going into the pit and the motor overheats, the battery backup can provide only several hours of protection after that. However, keep in mind that the power eventually runs out. Luckily, other technologies will pick up the pace and come into play.
This includes generators and solar panels if you have them installed. A primary sump pump system is normally powered by an AC/DC or D/C current. However, a backup battery sump pump system is normally powered by deep cycle batteries or maintenance-free batteries.
Alarms & Warning Signals
The backup battery sump pump has a display panel with an indicator light. This monitors the amount of water being exerted from the home. Luckily, most systems have an alarm that makes loud sounds in case a problem arises. They can also make sounds for corrective actions and maintenance.
Another important aspect of this technology is when the dual float switch raises to activate the backup battery. This technology normally connects to Wi-Fi to send text alerts to smartphones that charges happened with the system.
When and Who Needs A Sump Pump Battery Backup?
Who Needs One?
Anyone who owns or rents a house need a sump pump battery backup. Sometimes unexpected things happen and the best form of protection is prevention and readiness. Floods cause approximately $6 billion in damages every year. Do not let your home become a statistic!
When Is the Best Time to Get A Sump Pump Battery Backup?
Anytime would be a great time to get a sump pump battery backup. They are especially needed during hurricane season or after ice storms when the liquid melts. Flash flooding events happen around the country, usually expectedly. Also, if a homeowner does not have homeowner insurance, this is a great time to purchase a sump pump.
It literally saves the home and tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in repairing damages. Another good time to get a sump pump backup battery system is if the homeowner vacations for extended periods of time. This extra layer of protection picks up the responsibility if a water pipe burst or if a storm is impending.
Sometimes the homeowner will not know about these events unless they get alerts from the alarm sensor. Heavy storms that create these conditions normally happen once or twice a year. However, flash floods still occur at a higher rate and do more damage very quickly.
What Are the Benefits of Using A Sump Pump?
- A sump pump system will prevent flood water from reaching the walls, carpet, and hardwood floors. This in itself prevents mold from developing and limits nasty airborne pathogens from running rampant. Studies have shown that mold and airborne pathogens can make the family very sick. Moreover, you will save tons of money from repairs.
- A backup battery sump pump system is perfect for when a fuse blows. In this case, the backup battery kicks in as an enhanced safety mechanism.
- Another benefit is the highly sensitive sensors installed on a sump pump. They detect rising water levels from the ground up. Once the water touches the sensor, an alarm sounds off. This audio cue helps homeowners stay at a vantage point to fix things before they spiral out of control.
- Some technologically advanced sump pump systems send out text and email alerts to homeowner’s mobile devices. This system will let homeowners know that the water is rising in the basement. The homeowner just bought themselves more time to perform corrective actions.
- A sump pump system is also great for houses in the states more prone to flooding. These include the Inland state that is most prone to large-scale storm systems. They are Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Kentucky, West Virginia, Iowa, and Missouri.
How Long Does a Battery Backup Sump Pump Last?
Although the battery duration solely depends on the type used, most battery backup sump pumps last for a very long time before they drain. Some of these batteries run on AC/DC current while some run on a DC current only. The sump pump battery can go into a reserve mode after an electrical charge, and this enables it to last for a very long time.
How Can I Dispose of Extra Battery Acid?
You can dispose leftover battery acid so many ways. The first method is to pour the acid in a container, then fill up another container with a large amount of water. Gently add the acid to it and stir continuously. Note: do not pour water into acid because it is fatal and never let the acid touch your skin. Finally, add some quantities of baking soda to neutralize the effect of the acid. You can then dispose of.
How Can I Connect Two Batteries Together?
You can connect two batteries together by fixing together the two wires at the two terminals i.e positive terminal and negative terminal. The batteries can either be connected in a parallel manner or in series. However, it is important to know that when connecting batteries in series the voltage increases and when batteries connect in parallel the current decreases.
What Size Battery for Sump Pump Backup?
For a battery to fit a sump pump backup, it has to be 12 volts and the minimum size 27 unit. You can connect more of these batteries if you desire for a higher gain and longer emergency pumping time. You can also upgrade the charging system by buying larger batteries.
What Kind of Battery for Sump Pump Backup?
In order to determine the kind of battery that is best for sump pump backup, you need to consider factors like battery type, pump construction, pump capacity and output, pump technology and the place where the pump gets being purchased. A No Maintenance battery is the best type of battery required to supply quality DC current for sump pump backup.
Can I Backup Any Sump Pump With a Battery?
Yes. You need to back up the sump pump with a battery to avoid the immediate or accidental shutdown. Since a power outage can make the system to break down, backing up the sump pump with battery is the best option. Additionally, always ensure the battery is kept charged in case of emergency.
You have learned which are the best battery backup sump pumps to choose from. Most brands listed here are reliable, high-quality, and offer the best sump pump service possible. Things such as choosing the right battery, brand, and accessories will all determine how the sump pump runs and lasting protection that will save you tons of money. Some of the best ones to choose are Zoeller, Liberty Pumps, and Wayne.
Many of them come pre-assembled, have alarms, made with rust-free materials, and some technological advancements to make your user experience better. Sump pumps are definitely highly-beneficial long-term investments. They can literally protect your home from getting damaged and save your life and pockets!